Further to the Wipro-earthian award program every year, selected schools and colleges become partners in change. Together with our partner ecosystem, the schools and colleges will begin a journey of institutional learning and discovery and action. During this period of continuing engagement with each of the institutions, the aim is to build capacity and co-create educational practices within these institutions to better prepare its students to understand and deal with the sustainability challenges.
Every year, earthian will reach out to a new set of schools and colleges to spread the learning and change. These schools and colleges will then become partners in spreading the learning further and become hubs for reaching out to more schools and colleges in their neighborhood. Over the years, earthian hopes to build a vibrant and growing community of schools and colleges engaged in sustainability education and action.
Each institution works within a context shaped by its heritage, vision, aspiration and physical environment. earthian’s continuous engagement program’s (CEP) primary objective is to devise multiple platforms for meaningful engagement with earthian awardees. It would require initiating action on sustainability issues and help them build institutional sensitivity and awareness on an ongoing basis. This is accomplished through a set of rich and diverse programs.
We will offer schools a variety of possible programs of which they can pick a few. These programs can be availed of over a period of up to 3 years. Exact details of the program options will be communicated with the schools very soon.
CEP engagement in schools looks to approach sustainability education using two distinct platforms:
1. Experiential field Workshops: A first-hand experience of learning and doing in the field and outside the classroom always adds tremendous perspective and value. To achieve this we will be including a series of experiential workshops that cover a wide-range of topics like place-based education, interactions of native forest communities and their livelihoods, local biodiversity etc. Inspired by these workshops and interactions, we hope that many schools start new learning initiatives on their own too.
Duration: 2-5 Days
Group size: 2 faculty+3 students
** 1 field workshop can be availed of within a period of 3 years, which Wipro-earthian will support
2. In-school engagement: We understand that driving sustainability thinking and action also requires varying levels of engagement at the school campus itself. This will ensure that faculty and students have the opportunity to embark on a journey of exploring sustainability from different perspectives within the school itself.
** Specific areas of engagement and the schools requirements can be decided in consultation with the schools themselves
The possible offerings could include:
- Development of a small school library , both print and digital that is dedicated to exploring sustainability issues
- Regularly organizing speakers and short workshops for students and faculty under the larger theme of sustainability
- Provide consultancy for a Rain-water harvesting system within the school campus
**Please note that no infrastructure support will be provided under this initiative
The CEP program for colleges is both faculty and student driven, with different engagement platforms catering to both audiences. The engagement has no fixed duration. However, we hope each institute sees this not only as a long term relationship with Wipro-earthian but also as an opportunity to become a partner in spreading the learning further and become a hub that other colleges can take inspiration from.
1. College sustainability internships
For students from winning institutes, earthian offers a diverse and unique range of sustainability related internship opportunities that can be undertaken for a period of two months. These internships are offered in partnership with our highly reputed partner organizations who are domain specialists in sustainability and related areas. The internships are a great opportunity for students to engage with interesting paradigms, schools of thought and innovations in the sustainability arena. Thematic areas include rainwater harvesting, natural capital accounting, biodiversity studies, environmental policy and governance, Green building etc.
Duration: 2 months (summer)
Students nominated per college: 2
Stipend: Paid by Wipro
2. Sustainability Education Symposiums
As a part of our long term vision to further sustainability education in India, WIPRO – earthian has embarked on a broad initiative to curate national level forums of leading colleges from across the country on the topic of ‘Symposium on Advancing Sustainability Research and Education’. The forum’s main objective will be to bring together a community of sustainability educators, share their learning experiences in sustainability, highlight specific case studies and promote potentially transformative role that integrating sustainability education can play in higher education. Since we expect this to be a faculty-driven initiative, we hope that key faculty from all colleges join us in this initiative.
Annual B-school symposium
Annual Western region symposium (Design-Architecture-Engineering-Management)